Just discovered gearogs.
I just submitted a custom table/platform mount Lenco turntable ( http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3931-Lenco-L75-S ).
Rather spontaniously, so it might that some adjustments should be made, but many options weren't available, especially:

Form factor: Custom mount (the turntable is delivered with plans to cut out a plate to mount the turntable in.

Controls: screws (yes, a lot of controls are adjusted with screws)-used to adjust antiskating & cartridge alignment (quite important controls)
Controls: counterweight (rather standard on a turntable, I don't consider this a button or switch)-used to adjust the tracking weight
Controls: Hole adaptor (yes, it's a control, even if it's simple, without this control lot's of vinyl is left unplayed)

Connections: SME-fitting (yes the headshell fitting on a well known Technics turntable, it has a name, it is used to connect a headshell, which in turn is used to connect a cartridge)
Connections: Earth wire (uhu, simple thing, but does a lot)

Long time I've been on disc/film- and now gearogs.
Maybe I missed a lot, any suggestions on my sub are very welcome.

Hi, and welcome to the site!

Form factor: Custom mount (the turntable is delivered with plans to cut out a plate to mount the turntable in.

How is the turntable held there? I can't see any flanges. It seems the turntable would still be supported at it's base, therefore being a tabletop device. The problem with 'Custom Mount' is it is going to be quite vague, a more specific name may be good!

Controls: screws (yes, a lot of controls are adjusted with screws)-used to adjust antiskating & cartridge alignment (quite important controls)

I suppose we were thinking of controls as electrical devices. Mechanical controls could be a separate thing indeed. However, arguable things like anti-skating, cartridge adjustment, counterweights etc are not controls but adjustments. Same for the 'Hole adaptor', that is an adapter, not a control as such IMHO.

Connections: SME-fitting (yes the headshell fitting on a well known Technics turntable, it has a name, it is used to connect a headshell, which in turn is used to connect a cartridge)

This is an interesting detail, maybe suitable for the notes at the moment?

Connections: Earth wire

I think "terminal block" can be used for this.

[quote=nik]How is the turntable held there? I can't see any flanges.[/quote]

I'll post photographs of the underside and the inculded plan later.
The turntable is supllied as the metal top part only, on hte underside there are threaded holes to fasten the turntable. (on the photograph, the turntable is actually not fastened at all, but just laying loose in the plinth of a regular L75. The photographs are very old, by now I fastened the turntable, but Iforgot how I did it.
It's not a tabletop, if you place the turntable as delivered on a table, it would be laying on it's mechanism.

but I agree 'custom' is a bit vague. I'll think of a better name.

[quote=nik]I suppose we were thinking of controls as electrical devices. Mechanical controls could be a separate thing indeed. However, arguable things like anti-skating, cartridge adjustment, counterweights etc are not controls but adjustments. Same for the 'Hole adaptor', that is an adapter, not a control as such IMHO.[/quote]

hmm, a turntable is always mainly a mechanical device (although some mechanics can be controlled by an electronic intrermediate ofcourse)
What about turntables which adjust antiskating electronically, or with a knob?
What about the speed adjustment? That's mechanic too on every turntable (although electronics can be added)
I don't think we should limit controls to electrical or electronic controls.

If I'm right a turntable arm ca

I agree however for the hole adapter not being a control.

[quote=nik]How is the turntable held there? I can't see any flanges.[/quote]

I'll post photographs of the underside and the inculded plan later.
The turntable is supllied as the metal top part only, on hte underside there are threaded holes to fasten the turntable. (on the photograph, the turntable is actually not fastened at all, but just laying loose in the plinth of a regular L75. The photographs are very old, by now I fastened the turntable, but Iforgot how I did it.
It's not a tabletop, if you place the turntable as delivered on a table, it would be laying on it's mechanism.

but I agree 'custom' is a bit vague. I'll think of a better name.

[quote=nik]I suppose we were thinking of controls as electrical devices. Mechanical controls could be a separate thing indeed. However, arguable things like anti-skating, cartridge adjustment, counterweights etc are not controls but adjustments. Same for the 'Hole adaptor', that is an adapter, not a control as such IMHO.[/quote]

hmm, a turntable is always mainly a mechanical device (although some mechanics can be controlled by an electronic intrermediate ofcourse)
What about turntables which adjust antiskating electronically, or with a knob?
What about the speed adjustment? That's mechanic too on every turntable (although electronics can be added)
I don't think we should limit controls to electrical or electronic controls.

If I'm right a turntable arm ca

I agree however for the hole adapter not being a control.

oh... no edit, slipped out on the keyboard and posted twice... how painful. I'll continue here:

If I'm right a turntable arm can be added as gear. But it's a 100% mechanical device. The cartridge is electronic, the motor is electric. But the arm is always mechanic.

I wouldn't limit controls to electronic controls, and think hardcore screws should be a valid option for some controls (antiskating & counterweight)

Cartridge alignment is something different. It's more an installation issue, which shouldn't be changed for no reason, opposed to tracking weight & antiskating (important controls when switching between high quality playback (& recording) - mixing - or scratching.
And the hole adapter isn't a real control, i agree, it's just a handy tool.

[quote]I think "terminal block" can be used for this.[/quote]
hmm...there is no terminal block... although there is something similar inside the turntable, but you need soldering...
In that case the RCA outputs are a terminal block too...
A terminal block normally refers to a little block in which you can easily put a stripped cable. (often green or white)

What about "plain cable" (1-way, in the case of an earth wire)?

[quote]This is an interesting detail, maybe suitable for the notes at the moment? [/quote]
yes, for the moment this is the only option:)
it's quite a standard connection for turntables (probably invented by SME, given the name)

I tried for fun entering a simple mechanical metronome, but didn't submit:
-A turntable is mainly mechanical gear, but still (electronic) gear (in fact only the motor and the cartridge are electronic, and in modern designs sometimes the speed control, but even then it's an electronic controlled mechanic)
-A metronome is more an acoustic instrument but no gear. No electronics at all (in fact a turntable is mainly an acoustic device too, with a very dedicated microphone on it, still a big difference in the end)

--oh man, sorry for my ugly posts...
Seems the gearogs-forum isn't the same as the discogs one.
If you can merge the posts & delete the double ones, ge ahead...
How do I quote (or where is the manual?)

Oh, another small thing:

Why is there Male (plug) & Female (socket)
What about male sockets (XLR for instance) and Female plugs (Cinch/RCA/ for instance)?

I don't have a ready picture of a male XLR socket, but any serious mixing device has them: female sockets for the inputs, male sockets for the outputs.
The female RCA plugs can be seen here: http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3954-M-Audio-Delta-1010LT
(oh, and also female XLR plugs, btw)

I wouldn't associate plug with male & socket with female. Technically that's incorrect. a plug is what is usually attached to the end of a cable, a socket is what is usually mounted on a surface (a separate plate in a rack or just on the equipment itself) It's only half right when speaking about phone jacks. (never seen male jack sockets, but I've seen a lot of female jack plugs)

I added some pictures I found from a Lenco L75/S as it comes out of the box with mounting plans.

Another Form factor request
I'm submitting a monitor/speaker: It can be mounted on a speaker stand, or Floor standing as a monitor.
Can an option "Floor Standing / Stand Mounted" be added?

In fact: why not the ability to choose 2 Form Factors? (I guess more combinations might occur, such as a Modular synth in a rack with keyboard? Or Standard Width / 19" Rackmount (very common design where one can choose to attach the rackmount ears or not))

And maybe an extra free field: 19" Rackmount (2 units)

Another request for the Function(s):
Mixer, Integrated

Also for the speaker. It can mix 2 channels with a basic Hi/lo EQ

More request:
"Preamp, Integrated" (or, "Amplifier, Pre, Integrated", but that's lots of comma)

Lots of nowadays cheap USB (or no USB) turntables have an integrated (phono) preamp and a line out and/or (head)phone out, instead of a phono out.

(regular) Hifi amps are consider combo's of a (power) amp & a preamp, but I don't consider this an integration but a double function: Amp/Preamp. I think the above request isn't suitable for that. One can both select Amplifier, Power & Amplifier, Pre for this type of amps.

Why is there Male (plug) & Female (socket)

Plugs are male, sockets are female.

I don't have a ready picture of a male XLR socket, but any serious mixing device has them: female sockets for the inputs, male sockets for the outputs.

They are panel mounted male and female connectors.

a plug is what is usually attached to the end of a cable, a socket is what is usually mounted on a surface

I wouldn't say something that is cable mounted is necessarily a plug, nor anything panel mounted a socket. If there is aneed to difirentiate, they are called 'cable mounted' and 'panel mounted' respectively.

I'm submitting a monitor/speaker: It can be mounted on a speaker stand, or Floor standing as a monitor.
Can an option "Floor Standing / Stand Mounted" be added?

I have added "Floorstanding / Stand Mounted".

why not the ability to choose 2 Form Factors?

It is just the way the data was constructed.

extra free field: 19" Rackmount (2 units)

I have been putting that in Dimensions.

Another request for the Function(s): Mixer, Integrated

That is "Mixing Desk" + "Amplifier, Power".

More request: "Preamp, Integrated" (or, "Amplifier, Pre, Integrated", but that's lots of comma)

An integrated amplifier is a preamp and a power amp in one unit, does that not cover it?

Plugs & socket, must be some difference in English/Dutch. Usualy if someone asks an XLR socket ('een socketje') here, it's to install somewhere, regardless of a male/female XLR. If we ask a plug (stekker) we expect an XLR (male or female, in most cases male&female) to be soldered to a cable. But technical terms are sometimes a little different in interpretation in different languages. Sounds strange to me, a cable with a socket, but as long as it's just me...

Ah, Unit height in dimensions, gooed idea, tnx

OK, I understood 'integrated' as 'with built-in mixer' or 'built-in amplifier'
I think Mixing Desk sound vast for a speaker wich has a small built-in mixer to mix the line input with the mix input and has a simple EQ. But I guess Mixing Desk works well enough
tnx

A suggestion for the Form Factor of this turntable: http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3931-Lenco-L75-S

-> Surface Mount

I added some picture of an uninstalled unit.

Plugs & socket, must be some difference in English/Dutch. Usualy if someone asks an XLR socket ('een socketje') here, it's to install somewhere, regardless of a male/female XLR. If we ask a plug (stekker) we expect an XLR (male or female, in most cases male&female) to be soldered to a cable. But technical terms are sometimes a little different in interpretation in different languages. Sounds strange to me, a cable with a socket, but as long as it's just me...

Yes, it is kind of vague. I think we are better off avoiding the use of the terms plug and socket, because there will be confusion.

A suggestion for the Form Factor of this turntable: http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3931-Lenco-L75-S
-> Surface Mount

Yeh this is kind of an interesting example. Is it even a complete thing without being mounted? Is it not a component then rather than a complete item? Things that make me go hmmmmm... :-)

I think we can wait and see with this one what others think, what other examples come up. 'Surface mount' is maybe too close to SMD components.

In Dutch we just call it 'inbouw', literally translated as 'build-in' (or 'to-build-in'). I guess there must be an English term like that too...
I don't see it as a component, as it is complete and working as it comes out of the box. one can place it just on four wooden blocks as well.
(Maybe I'll look up the manual, try to see if there's an English section, but if I remember, the manual is in Italian)
The close relation of Surface Mount to SMD-components is indeed confusing.

|| avoiding the use of the terms plug and socket

I agree, just male/female is clear & straightforward. And also the most usual way to express it in technical descriptions of gear to my experience.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.