i've noticed a lot of headphone topics that are repeated simply because they come in different colours.....

is it really necessary to have one topic for each of the available colours of headphones (for example)....wouldn't it make more sense to have just one topic for the model and have colour options as a specification?

Thanks for your question. As on Discogs, we want to catalog all the variations in the gear, including colour versions. Each one should have it's own entry. If this causes any display / browsing problems, we can figure that out later.

Can you let me know on what page you see a problem coming up regarding this? Thanks!

I suspect commondenom may be referring to entries like those under the Urbanears brand where this seems to have been taken to an extreme. There sixty-four circumaural headphone model entries are represented by only five actually physically and functionally different models of which the single 'Plattan ADV Wireless' model has seventeen entries to cover its color variants and the plain 'Plattan' a whopping twenty-three.

While it is understandable that gear may be approached as collectible to fill out a set of all the colors, simple colors would seem something more suitable to a lower distinction than truly different pieces of gear receive. Perhaps some nested field of sorts? To refer back to your Discogs example, right now something so minor as color variants are showing as the equivalent of separate albums rather than separate releases of a single album. Why not bring the "Master Release" equivalent here to cover distinctions that do not warrant full model classification?

Thanks jpvanson. I do understand that pages like https://www.gearogs.com/maker/38719-Urbanears are quite repetitive and it would be easier if they were collapsed down into one entry like on Discogs with Master Releases. As this site is in beta right now, we haven't built such functionality, but may do in the future, depending on the amount of feedback we get about it, and the problems it brings up. Thanks!

Thank you for clarifying that then, nik. The repetition does make finding a model by browsing, should the exact number/name be known, rather difficult. I've tried it on a couple of things I wasn't sure on and gave up. Should it then be considered site policy (against some future feature addition) that every variation, no matter how minor, should be entered in as a separate model rather than be denoted in the notes or additional specifications sections?

Thanks for your feedback!

Could you give an example of where you found it difficult to browse by exact number/name?

Should it then be considered site policy (against some future feature addition) that every variation, no matter how minor, should be entered in as a separate model rather than be denoted in the notes or additional specifications sections?

There will have to be some discussion needed for some items. It isn't a blanket 'enter everything' For example, where manufacturing variations or additional upgrades become significant enough to catalog. Intentional variations in colour are important enough for their own entry though.

In the case I was thinking of I was trying to find a pair of headphones I'd heard at a dealer a few years back that I liked, but couldn't recall the specific model number sufficiently to appease the search engine. I thought I knew what the model was roughly, had no luck in search and tried browsing, but had to give up when several pages worth of entries could be filled by just two or three actual models. Without things being displayed in alphabetical order, I couldn't guesstimate where to skip in navigation to try to narrow things down. It may be here, may not be, I couldn't tell.

Seems changes that affect the function of a device would be more impactful to the user in terms of audio gear than the color of the paint job. There are a couple of instances where I suppose I should probably expand the entries I've made into further models, such as a speaker with changes in driver complement that was heretofore left to the Notes section, but I still feel the need to hold off on minor things like veneer with speakers or color until there's a further means to collapse models. I don't want to be some sort of entry spammer.

Thanks jpvanson! I think your outline of the problem points more to the search engine needing improved (which it does!), thanks for walking through that for me. I agree as well, that collapsing variations would be useful as well. Remember that Discogs didn't have the Master Release function for over 5 years, and had over a million entries by then :-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.