I was under the impression that this was for DJ gear. But i'm seeing CD players and tuners and stuff. So, all that is welcome also?

Yes, check out the Scope section in the wiki.

This is at http://www.gearogs.com/wiki

"The scope of the project includes things like turntables (including all-acoustic phonographs) , amplifiers, speakers, mixing desks, effects including spring and plate reverbs, and microphones. It includes instruments that create their sound directly via electronic means (analog and digital synthesizers, for example), but not electro-acoustic instruments such as electric guitars, Fender Rhodes electric pianos and the like, nor electro-mechanical instruments such as the Mellotron, nor opto-electronic instruments such as the Optigan.

Audio equipment is a broad subject. In order to keep the database focused, especially at the start, the following areas are being avoided for the time being:

In Car Entertainment (ICE)
Home Cinema
Guitar Amps
Amateur and Professional Radio Equipment
Some equipment will crossover from these areas. Discussion on the scope of Gearogs is expected!"

Thanks!

Nik,

I love the idea but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the boundaries, it would seem you want to limit to professional audio equipment but are allowing entry level reproduction equipment,

also if you are allowing stereo hi-fi equipment I mean there isn't much difference between that and home cinema for the most part but for projectors and certain bundled speaker packages, I understand it's a confusing topic, what with Jerry Garcia using Mcintosh MC-2300 power amplifiers on stage in his guitar rig,

a clear definition would be very cool, but maybe best to just go for it and see what happens,

I would suggest hitting up certain company founders for information before they die, it would be nice to have a site where all related interviews, marketing aspects are covered, a lot of sites cover synths but not many collect all the data for a synth unless it's dedicated to that model or family of models,

also I think it would be cool to cover guitars and everything else, I understand not wanting to since it's a big ball of wax that would require experts to regulate but you're going to need that handling synths anyway, there are a lot of synth details that not many people know about,

also I just checked the page for the Roland Jupiter 8, the page looks awful, sorry but I see no reason to have that huge list of modifiers and connectors right there, that stuff is handled in the manual, I would suggest an approach on an item page that puts the focus on aesthetics, leave that other stuff in the manual or a clickable link, I mean yeah it will eventually be good to be able to search every synth with XLR connectors but couldn't you do that without having the home page be a huge wall of super boring text? also how will you handle the Jupiter 8A? will it be a footnote on the same page or an additional page? with nearly identical data

photos need to be bigger, basically I would advocate for something like vintagesynth but with more info and even better presentation,

weight and dimensions I can see being a huge help for a lot of people,

thanks for hearing my thoughts on it and good luck, I'm sure I'll be the first to add a Koetsu cartridge when I get around to it.

Hey musicowl! Get that Koetsu cartridge added :-)

Thanks for your feedback here. I'll try and address a few points;

it would seem you want to limit to professional audio equipment but are allowing entry level reproduction equipment, also if you are allowing stereo hi-fi equipment I mean there isn't much difference between that and home cinema for the most part but for projectors and certain bundled speaker packages

The idea is to keep it to electronic audio equipment, either consumer or pro. The idea of restricting In Car Entertainment (ICE), Home Cinema, Guitar Amps, and Amateur and Professional Radio Equipment is to try to set bounds of scope. Otherwise we start trying to catalog guitars and TVs, and that will be hard with the schema... the subject matter is already wide! However, I am fine with discussing this further and if something can be added using the current schema, it should be ok, especially if people want to do that!

it would be cool to cover guitars and everything else

I'd love to do Instrumentogs for sure! I do think that is a different database schema though. Keep asking and maybe it will happen one day :-)

I would suggest hitting up certain company founders for information before they die, it would be nice to have a site where all related interviews, marketing aspects are covered, a lot of sites cover synths but not many collect all the data for a synth unless it's dedicated to that model or family of models

Do you have an example? Being as we make user built sites, we'd likely rely on users to do this, but anything is up for discussion, all ideas welcome. We will be developing things further soon so that it is easier to discuss specific items.

I just checked the page for the Roland Jupiter 8, the page looks awful, sorry but I see no reason to have that huge list of modifiers and connectors right there, that stuff is handled in the manual, I would suggest an approach on an item page that puts the focus on aesthetics, leave that other stuff in the manual or a clickable link, I mean yeah it will eventually be good to be able to search every synth with XLR connectors but couldn't you do that without having the home page be a huge wall of super boring text?

Part of this is an experiment to see what should / could be catalogued, what is useful to people etc. For every one page like that, there are 10 with minimal info on them right now. We'll see how it pans out and what everyone's feedback / use case is. Thanks for giving your insight!

photos need to be bigger

We can likely do that. Remember you can click them to see them bigger. Also, you can upload quite large images :-)

weight and dimensions I can see being a huge help for a lot of people

Yeh I agree, and I think we may need to standardize this data input as well. I think power source is also important.

how will you handle the Jupiter 8A? will it be a footnote on the same page or an additional page? with nearly identical data

Good question. You likely saw the three variants of Sound Burger I added recently:

http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3565-Audio-Technica-Sound-Burger
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3563-Audio-Technica-Sound-Burger
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/3557-Audio-Technica-Sound-Burger

I'd tend toward the Discogs method of cataloging all the variations as unique entries. We can then figure out how to differentiate them, organize them etc.

Thanks for all your feedback so far!

cool stuff Nik,

I agree with you on guitars, too huge, but your target definition certainly covers pedals which are a ball of wax unto themselves these days,

but yeah certain pedals are absolute for electronic music production.

also certain compressors were originally designed for radio broadcasting but do a damn good job in the recording studio as well, also microphones share that accolade, not to mention effects processors some of which are for broadcasting but near identical to 5 other units meant for different but similar professional recording environments. it's so big man,

it would also be cool to have links between units that share a common circuit design or revision of circuit design so you can trace certain ideas and designs through the years

I'll send you a pm about who to interview and get info from, what kind of company records may have been kept and can be shared with an archival database like this

Guitar / effects pedals are fine to catalog here I think, I agree they are used on a lot of other instruments as well as general studio effects.

I hear you on radio processing equipment. Again, we can discuss the merits of submitting that kind of thing, I suppose all the processing stuff will be ok, but transmitters / tuners start to become their own thing maybe?

We will for sure be looking at linking things, you can use the External References or Notes section at the moment for that.

Cheers!

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.